Skip to main content

Morehouse College Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: 0000-0000-0000-0080

Scope and Contents

This collection contains approximately 103 photographs dating from 1880s to 1970s. The photographs depict the buildings and grounds, students, campus events and visitors, faculty, and individuals associated with Morehouse College. The images showcase aspects of the history of Morehouse College as the largest all-male historically Black college in the United States.

Dates

  • 1885-1978

Conditions Governing Use

All materials in this collection are either protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta Unversity Center, Inc., and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. For more information, please contact archives@auctr.edu

Historical Note

Morehouse College, founded in 1867, is a private, Liberal Arts, all male historically Black college located in Atlanta, Georgia. Today, Morehouse College is one of four colleges in the Atlanta University Center that also includes Spelman College, Clark Atlanta University, and the Interdenominational Theological Center.

Morehouse College was founded by Reverend William Jefferson White in 1867, in the basement of Springfield Baptist Church and was known as The Augusta Theological Institute, in Augusta Georgia. Reverend Joseph T. Robert was appointed as the College's first president from 1871-1884. After an invitation by the Reverend Frank Quarles in 1879, the College relocated to the basement of Friendship Baptist Church in Atlanta, and changed its name to Atlanta Baptist Seminary. In 1885, the college named its second president, Samuel Graves (1885-1890). Shortly after, in 1890, the College relocated once more to its present home in the West End community of Atlanta, Georgia. In 1897, under its third president, Dr. George Sale (1890-1906) the college changed its name to Atlanta Baptist College. In 1906 President Sale was succeeded by President John Hope, the first African American President of the college. A native of Augusta, Hope was a graduate of Brown University in Rhode Island and had been a professor at Atlanta Baptist College since 1898. During his tenure, the college expanded its course offerings, increased the number of facilities, and earned a reputation for academic excellence.

In 1913 after the death of founder Reverend White, the college changed its name one last time to Morehouse College, to honor Henry L. Morehouse the corresponding secretary of the Northern Baptist Home Mission Society.

In 1940, Benjamin Mays became the school's sixth president (1940-1967). During his twenty-seven-year tenure Mays enhanced the college's academic reputation and encouraged students to question the established system of segregation that dominated the South during this time and to commit themselves to uplifting their race.

Today, Morehouse continues to build on its commitment to African American education. Its long list of alumni includes, Martin Luther King, Jr. Julian Bond, actor Samuel L. Jackson, filmmaker Spike Lee, Olympic gold medal winner Edwin Moses, and the first black mayor of Atlanta, Maynard Jackson.

Extent

.5 Linear feet (1 oversized box)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in six series alphabetically.

1. Buildings and Grounds 2. Certificates and Awards 3. Class 4. Events 5. Faculty 6. Individuals
Title
Morehouse College Photographs
Status
In Progress
Author
Aletha Moore
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center, Inc. Repository

Contact:
111 James P. Brawley Drive, SW
Atlanta 30314 USA
404-978-2052
404-978-2109 (Fax)