Skip to main content

Clark Atlanta University Printed and Published Materials

 Collection
Identifier: 0000-0000-0000-0004

Scope and contents

This collection contains printed and published materials created by Clark College, Clark University, and Clark Atlanta University. It includes the catalogs and bulletins on courses, administration, and enrollment. The collection also includes student publications such as the student newspaper, The Panther. The materials date from 1891 to 2014, with the bulk of the collection dating from 1960 to 2005. It includes publications that were started at Clark College and continued at Clark Atlanta University such as the Catalogs, and Yearbooks, as well as ones just published by Clark Atlanta such as the Clark Atlanta University Magazine and Inside CAU. There are a few bulletins from Clark University. Topics of the collection include student courses, faculty, student organizations, and alumni.

Dates

  • 1891-2014

Creator

Rights statement

All materials in this collection are either protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center, Inc., and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. For more information please contact archives@auctr.edu.

Historical note

Clark Atlanta University is the consolidation of Clark College and Atlanta University in 1988. Atlanta University was founded in 1865 by the American Missionary Association with assistance from the Freedman’s Bureau. Clark College was founded as Clark University in 1869 by the Freedmen’s Aid Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church (now United Methodist Church). The college was named for Bishop Davis W. Clark, the first president of the Freedmen’s Aid Society. After several moves in location, Bishop Haven, successor to Bishop Clark, assisted in the acquiring of 450 acres in South Atlanta in 1880.

In the 1930s, Clark joined the Atlanta University Complex along with Morehouse College, Spelman College, and Atlanta University. In 1966, the Atlanta University Center was created with six member institutions, Atlanta University, Morehouse College, Morris Brown College, Spelman College, Gammon Theological Seminary, and Clark College. Due to the advantages of proximity, Clark College and Atlanta University decided in the 1980s to consolidate. Clark Atlanta University was created on July 1, 1988 with Dr. Thomas W. Cole, Jr. as the first president. Today, Clark Atlanta University is a part of the Atlanta University Center with Morehouse College, Spelman College, and the Interdenominational Theological Center.

Information about Clark College and Clark Atlanta University has been obtained from Clark Atlanta's website, www.cau.edu

Extent

20 Linear feet

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

This collection has been divided into eight series: 1. Bulletins, 2. Catalogs, 3. Inside CAU, 4. The Inside Line, 5. The Mentor, 6. Clark Atlanta University Magazine, 7. The Panther (student newspaper), and 8. Yearbooks. It has been arranged based on name and type of publication. Each series is arranged chronologically.

Creator

Title
Clark Atlanta University Printed and Published Materials, 1891-2014
Status
Under Revision
Author
Brittany Newberry, 2017 June
Date
June 2017
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center, Inc. Repository

Contact:
111 James P. Brawley Drive, SW
Atlanta 30314 USA
404-978-2052
404-978-2109 (Fax)