Maynard Jackson mayoral administrative records. Series B: First and second term mayoral records
Series — Box: 1-149
Scope and contents
The First and second mayoral terms series documents Jackson’s ascension as the first African American mayor of Atlanta. Arranged in alphabetical order, this series chronicles Jackson’s political life between the years of 1973 and 1981. Notable achievements within this series include the formation of the city council, his efforts towards the revitalization of Atlanta’s neighborhoods, and mandating inclusion of Blacks in the city’s growing economic development. Major business deals Jackson oversaw include the construction of the Atlanta Hartsfield Airport – now named the Hartsfield-Jackson Airport in his honor – and the expansion of the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) bus system to rail. In addition to the high level of success Mayor Jackson garnered over his first and second terms, this series contains a subseries documenting world-wide responses to the tragic Atlanta Child Murders. Over 50 cities and states issued proclamations in reaction to the horrific murders of over 20 black children which occurred between the years of 1979 and 1981.
- Jackson, Maynard Holbrook Jr. (Person)
Materials are in English.
Permission to publish
Access to this collection does not automatically include permission to publish from the Collection. Prior permission from the Archives must be obtained in writing before any of this collection can be published or reproduced.
All materials in this collection are either protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center, Inc., and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
74 Linear feet
The series is arranged into three subseries: General files; Atlanta Child Murders; and Oversized.
- Atlanta (Ga.). Dept. of Finance
- Atlanta (Ga.). Dept. of Budget and Planning
- Atlanta (Ga.). Dept. of Community and Human Development.
- Atlanta (Ga.). Dept. of Environment and Streets
- Atlanta (Ga.). Dept. of Law
- Atlanta (Ga.). Dept. of Parks, Recreation & Cultural Affairs.
- Atlanta (Ga.). Dept. of Public Safety, Bureau of Fire Services
- Atlanta (Ga.). Police Dept
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- Atlanta Life Insurance Company
- Atlanta-Fulton Public Library
- Bond, Julian, 1940-2015
- Busbee, George, 1927-2004
- Campaign Funds
- Carter, Jimmy, 1924-
- Cheek, James E.
- Davis, Sammy
- Democratic National Committee (U.S.)
- Democratic National Convention
- Democratic Party (Ga.)
- Hall, Leon
- King, Coretta Scott
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929
- Lomax, Michael
- Lomax, Pearl
- Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority
- Miller, Zell
- Morehouse School of Medicine
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Nunn, Sam
- Reagan, Ronald
- Spelman College
- Talmadge, Herman E. (Herman Eugene)
- Threatt, Robert
- United States Conference of Mayors
- Voter Registration
- Ware, Carl
- William B. Hartsfield-Atlanta International Airport
- Yates, Ella
- Young, Andrew J.
- Maynard Jackson mayoral administrative records Series B: First and second term mayoral records, 1974-1982
- Finding aid prepared by Andrea Jackson, Stacy Jones, Meredith Evans Raiford, Antoine James, Trashinda Wright, Melvin Collier, Carmen Robinson, and Paul Crater, 2009 December.
- 2009 December
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note