Maynard Jackson Mayoral Administrative Records: Series E: Campaigns
Scope and contents
This series contains financial files, thank you letters, volunteer records, and records of special events and constituency groups. The subseries are: 1968-1969 U.S. Senate and Vice Mayoral Campaign; 1973 Mayoral Campaign; 1977 Mayoral Campaign; 1989 Mayoral Campaign; and Oversized materials. Campaign 1968-1969 provides a brief glimpse into Jackson's run for the United States Senate against Herman Talmadge, in which he was defeated; however, it primarily includes his successful race for Vice Mayor of Atlanta in 1969. Campaign research files from 1973 may also be found in the 1977 Campaign Series which were used as reference materials during the later campaign. Campaign 1989 contains the largest amount of materials that document Jackson's run for Mayor after Andrew Young's tenure. The Atlantans for Maynard Jackson (AMJ) records are the largest constituency files consisting of financial reports, fundraisers, daily schedules and precinct locations. The AMJ fundraising committee held an event for Jackson's 1989 Campaign, during which Bill Cosby and other entertainers performed. Also included in each sub-series are oversize materials consisting of contribution cards, volunteer cards, binders containing thank you letters, and other campaign materials.
- Creation: 1968-1989
- Office of Mayor, Atlanta, Georgia (Organization)
Materials are in English.
Permission to publish
Access to this collection does not automatically include permission to publish from the Collection. Prior permission from the Archives must be obtained in writing before any of this collection can be published or reproduced.
65 Linear feet
The Campaign series is arranged into five subseries: 1968-1969 U.S. Senate and Vice Mayoral Campaign; 1973 Mayoral Campaign; 1977 Mayoral Campaign; 1989 Mayoral Campaign; and Oversized materials.
- Cosby, Bill (Person)
- Lomax, Michael (Person)
- Atlantans for Maynard Jackson (Organization)
- Young Atlantans for Maynard (YAM) (Organization)
- United States. Congress. Senate (Organization)
- National Association for Securities Professionals (Organization)
- Democratic Party (U.S.) (Organization)
- Neighborhood Planning Unit (Organization)
- Williams, Hosea, 1926-2000 (Person)
- Massell, Sam (Person)
- Franklin, Shirley (Person)
- Underground Atlanta, Inc (Organization)
- Maynard Jackson mayoral administrative records Series E: Campaigns, 1968-1989
- Finding aid prepared by Andrea Jackson, Stacy Jones, Meredith Evans Raiford, Antoine James, Trashinda Wright, Melvin Collier, Carmen Robinson, and Paul Crater, 2009 December.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note