Skip to main content

Atlanta University financial records

 Collection — Box: 1-7
Identifier: 0000-0000-0000-0014

The Atlanta University Financial records are the first series of the Atlanta University Presidential Records. There are separate finding aids for each of the series in the Presidential Records as well as a finding aid for each of the other three components of the archives-the Atlanta University School of Social Work (Series 12-19), the Altanta University Photographs (Series 20-26), and the Atlanta University Published and Printed Materials (Series 27-33).



This series includes Atlanta University property deeds, financial documents relating to those deeds, records of monetary gifts, and other financial papers. Property deeds include Fulton County, Georgia legal documents which detail the sale of land in and around the Atlanta University area from 1856 to 1933, financial documents relating to property deeds include mortgage loans, maps, and descriptions of property. The third subseries consists of documentation on some of Atlanta University's sources of income. The material in this group are primarily life annuities, gifts and legacies of personal property and is arranged alphabetically by donor. The subseries "Other Financial Records" includes insurance policies and bills of students.

Dates

  • 1856-1961

Rights Statement

All materials in this collection are either protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center, Inc., and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. For more information, please contact archives@auctr.edu.

Extent

4 Linear Feet

Historical note

Seventy-two days following the end of the Civil War, the American Missionary Association (A.M.A.) Began formal educational work for African Americans in Atlanta. Edmund Asa Ware, the Educational Director of the A.M.A. in Georgia, promoted the idea of establishing a university to provide educational opportunity for the recently freed slaves and refugees of the war. Atlanta University opened on October 13, 1869.



The University offered training for students of all ages including kindergarten, grade school, normal industrial, academy and college. In 1894, all pre-high school level work ceased and during the first two decades of the twentieth century, the University phased out its high school courses, In 1929, Atlanta University affiliated with Morehouse and Spelman in a cooperative plan known as the Atlanta University System. Among the features of the system was a division of labor between the schools to eliminate unnecessary duplication of educational efforts. Under this plan, the University discontinued all undergraduate work and devoted its resources to graduate and professional education, while Morehouse and Spelman operated on a college level.



The Atlanta University Schools of Social Work, Library and Information Studies, Arts and Sciences, Education, Business Administration, and Library Services were all established between 1920 and 1946. On July 1, 1988, Atlanta University and Clark College consolidated to form Clark Atlanta University.

Arrangement

This series is arranged into five subseries: Records relating to Atlanta University property deeds; Atlanta University property deeds; Sources of income; Sources of income: legacies and gifts; Other financial records. All subseries are arranged alphabetically, except subseries 2, which is arranged chronologically.
Title
Atlanta University presidential records Atlanta University Financial records
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center, Inc. Repository

Contact:
111 James P. Brawley Drive, SW
Atlanta 30314 USA
404-978-2052
404-978-2109 (Fax)