Skip to main content

Johnsontown Neighborhood collection

 Collection — Box: 1-28
Identifier: 0000-0000-0000-0130

Scope and contents

Joseph Lowery on behalf of the residents of Johnsontown worked to ensure that they were treated fairly. In addition, he requested that MARTA document the site on which Johnsontown was located for historical prosperity. Therefore, in 1982 MARTA contracted The History Group Inc., to perform archaelogical work to document the history of the Johnsontown Neighborhood located in the Northern region of Atlanta, Georgia near Buckhead.



The collection dates spans the years from 1971 to 1982 with the bulk of the materials date from 1981-1982. The collection contains materials related to the excavation of artifacts from the Johnsontown site. Included in the collection are the archaeological artifacts, field notes, research data, an audio tape, photographs, slides, reports, and correspondence.

Dates

  • 1971-1982

Creator

Rights Statement

All materials in this collection are either protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center, Inc., and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. For more information, please contact archives@auctr.edu.

Historical note

Johnsontown was a low-income African American community located in the Northern region of Atlanta, Georgia. After affluent Whites failed to take interest in the area in the 1890s, African Americans began to consider the region as a prime location for their housing needs due to their employers being located in the adjoining wealthy Atlanta neighborhood of Buckhead. In 1912, Columbus and Callie Johnson, an African American couple purchased land on the southside of Railroad Avenue and built their home. A few years later more blacks began to move into the community who currently worked as maids, yardmen, car hops and chauffeurs for the residents in the Buckhead community. The community was mostly self-sufficient containing a grocery store and restaurant, dance hall, church and school. The Carter Elementary School served the residents of the community as well as children from neighbohing communities such as Bagley Park and Willistown. In 1955 the school was closed due to low attendance. Population began to decline in the 1950's due to commercial and residential redevelopment, migration of young adults, and the expansion of public transportion and the availability of homes on the west side. In 1971, after referendum from the Metropolitan Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) successfully passed, Johnsontown was earmarked as the site of the MARTA Lenox station and by 1982 demolition of Johnsontown began to make way for the MARTA Lenox station.

Extent

27 Linear feet

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

The collection maintains the original order as arranged by the creator, The History Group Inc.
Title
Johnsontown Neigborhood collection, 1971-1984
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Stacy Jones and Antwann Simpkins, 2014 June.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center, Inc. Repository

Contact:
111 James P. Brawley Drive, SW
Atlanta 30314 USA
404-978-2052
404-978-2109 (Fax)