Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 11
Collection — Box: 1-3
Scope and contents This small collection of ephemera provides a glimpse of the involvement in the civil rights movement by students from the Atlanta University Center schools - Atlanta University, Gammon Theological Seminary, and Clark, Morehouse, Morris Brown, and Spelman Colleges. The collection includes newspaper and journal articles, flyers, reports, and correspondence by and about students from the AUC schools and a few items about student activities in other areas in the United States. There are also...
Collection — Box: 1-188
Scope and contents The James P. Brawley collection spans the years between 1885 and 1985. The bulk of the collection dates from 1916 to 1984. The collection includes records related to Clark College, the Methodist Church, and Rust College. Also included are correspondences, family papers, writings by Brawley, memorabilia, newsclippings and audio/visual materials. Of note are drafts of his two books, his high school "valedictory oration" and photographs to be used in Clark College fundraising brochures. Also of...
Collection — Box: 1-3
Scope and contents This small collection of materials documents a portion of the professional life of Stella Brewer Brookes, Ph.D., scholar, educator, and author. Having earned the B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. degrees in English from Wiley College, University of Michigan, and Cornell University, respectively, Dr. Brookes served on the faculty at Clark College in Atlanta, Georgia for 45 years as an esteemed professor.The Stella Brewer Brookes collection primarily highlights Brookes’ writings and opinions...
Collection — Box: 1-2, OS 1-6
Scope and contents Wayman A. Carver (b. 1905 d. 1967), jazz musician and music educator, achieved acclaim for his virtuosity and artistry as a flutist during his tenure from 1934-39 with Chick Webb and his Orchestra. In the series “Giants of Jazz” (International Musician April 1963), Leonard Feather credits Wayman Carver as being internationally recognized as...
Scope and contents This collection contains printed and published materials created by Clark College, Clark University, and Clark Atlanta University. It includes the catalogs and bulletins on courses, administration, and enrollment. The collection also includes student publications such as the student newspaper, The Panther. The materials date from 1891 to 2014, with the bulk of the collection dating from 1960 to 2005. It includes publications that were started at Clark College and continued at Clark Atlanta...
Collection — Box: 1-5
Scope and contents The Matthew S. Davage papers (1936-1982) consist primarily of correspondence, personal papers, and manuscripts for speeches and sermons. The speeches and sermons are exemplary of the writings of Dr. Davage and were possibly delivered in both educational and religious contexts. Much of the documentation is focused on Davage's tenure as the President of Clark College and his involvement with the Board of Education of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Also included are biographical...
Collection — Box: 1-2, Scrapbooks
Scope and contents This archival collection was donated in January 2007 during the chapter's 75th Anniversary. The collection primarily documents the activities on the campus of Clark Atlanta University and in metropolitan Atlanta in which the ladies of Sigma Chapter sponsored or participated. There is minimal biographical information on the members of the chapter.Of note are the scrapbooks; many were presented to the Sigma Chapter from the respective Pyramid Clubs - or pledge clubs - of that year....
Collection — Box: 1-4, OS 1
Scope and contents The collection consists of the personal papers of Dr. Pearlie Craft Dove from 1958-2002. The collection includes photographs, certificates and awards, her vita, some of Dove's writings, an oral history interview, a small amount of memorabilia, materials related to the Teacher Education programs at Clark College, and committee documents from the consolidation of Clark Atlanta University.The materials related to the Clark Atlanta University consolidation (1988-1990) include committee...
Collection — Box: 1-7
Scope and contents This collection documents the work of Major J. Jones, United Methodist Minister, theologian, and President of the Gammon Theological Seminary (Atlanta, Ga.) for the years 1969-1986. The bulk of the material is writings by Jones, including articles, conference papers, lectures and sermons; some materials are related to the administration of Gammon and its parent school, the Interdenominational Theological Center (ITC).There is also a large amount of material related to a...
Collection — Box: 1-9
Scope and contents This collection contains speeches, programs, flyers and posters related to the C. Eric Lincoln Lecture Series hosted by Clark Atlanta University.
- Names: Clark College X
- African American educators 4
- African American religious life and thought 3
- African American scholars 3
- African Americans -- Education (Higher) -- Georgia. 3
- African Americans -- Education -- Georgia 3
- African American clergy 2
- African American college administrators 2
- African American college teachers -- Georgia. 2
- African American universities and colleges 2
- Black churches 2
- Black theology 2
- Christian ethics 2
- Methodist Church 2
- Methodist Church -- Georgia. 2
- Methodist Church. 2
- African American authors 1
- African American business enterprises 1
- African American college students 1
- African American jazz musicians 1
- African American periodicals -- Georgia 1
- African American poets 1
- African American sociologists 1
- African American women--Georgia--Atlanta 1
- African Americans -- Education (Higher) --Georgia. 1
- African Americans -- Folklore. 1
- African Americans -- Segregation 1
- American literature -- 19th century -- History and criticism. 1
- Apartheid 1
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Church History 1
- Atlanta (Ga.)-Race relations 1
- Black Muslims. 1
- Businessmen 1
- Church and social problems -- United States. 1
- Church management. 1
- Church newsletters 1
- City council members -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Civil rights -- 1960-1970. 1
- Civil rights demonstrations -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- 1960-1970. 1
- Civil rights demonstrations -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- History -- 20th century. 1
- Civil rights. 1
- Clark Atlanta University 1
- Clark College 1
- College students -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- Political activity -- History -- 20th century 1
- Committees 1
- Education -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Folklore in literature. 1
- Georgia 1
- Greek letter societies 1
- Jazz musicians 1
- Louisiana 1
- Methodist Church -- Missions 1
- Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh 1
- Race relations -- Religious aspects -- Methodist Church 1
- Religious education 1
- Sermons, American - African American Authors 1
- Sermons, American-20th century 1
- Sheet music 1
- United Methodist Church (U.S.) 1
- United Methodist Church (U.S.). Board of Education 1
- United States -- Church history -- 20th century. 1
- United States -- Race relations 1
- Washington (D.C.) 1 ∧ less