Clark College Photographs
Scope and contents
This collection contains photographs of Clark College before its consolidation with Atlanta University. It dates from 1940 to 1989 with the majority of photographs dating during 1950 to 1969. The photographs show student life, such as classes, athletics, clubs, sororities and fraternities, and graduation. The collection includes campus buildings, such as McPheeters-Dennis Hall. The bulk of the collection highlights groups and individuals at various events. Photographs of groups consists of notable people, such as Vivian Henderson, Carl Ware, Vernon Jordan, C. Eric Lincoln, and Thomas Cole. The collection also contains photographs of speakers at commencement, such as Jesses Jackson, Andrew Young, and James P. Brawley. Photographs highlight Christmas parties, art exhibits, banquets, and faculty and staff.
- Majority of material found within 1950-1969
- Clark College (Organization)
All materials in this collection are either protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center, Inc., and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clark College was founded as Clark University in 1869 by the Freedmen’s Aid Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church (now United Methodist Church). The college was named for Bishop Davis W. Clark, the first president of the Freedmen’s Aid Society. After several moves in location, Bishop Haven, successor to Bishop Clark, assisted in the acquiring of 450 acres in South Atlanta in 1880. In the 1930s, Clark joined the Atlanta University Complex along with Morehouse College, Spelman College, and Atlanta University. In 1966, the Atlanta University Center was created with six member institutions, Atlanta University, Morehouse College, Morris Brown College, Spelman College, Gammon Theological Seminary, and Clark College. Due to the advantages of proximity, Clark College and Atlanta University decided in the 1980s to consolidate. Clark Atlanta University was created on July 1, 1988 with Dr. Thomas W. Cole, Jr. as the first president. Today, Clark Atlanta University is a part of the Atlanta University Center with Morehouse College, Spelman College, and the Interdenominational Theological Center. Information about Clark College and Clark Atlanta University has been obtained from Clark Atlanta's website, www.cau.edu.
6 Linear feet
Language of Materials
- Clark College Photographs, 1940-1989
- Finding aid prepared by Brittany Newberry, 2020 March
- March 24, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description