A. Walter Parks collection
Scope and contents
This small collection provides documentation about some of the organizations with which Mr. Parks was affiliated and reveals some insight into African American community life in Atlanta during the period 1925-1973. The collection includes reports, programs, minutes, by-laws, funeral programs, news articles, and newsletters. There are small amounts materials about the Ashby Grove and Camilla Street Community Club, the Lincoln Golf and Country Club, and the Shoe Service Men of Georgia. The majority of the collection focuses on two institutions that Mr. Parks was especially involved; the Metropolitan Atlanta Association of the Blind and Friendship Baptist Church. Of particular note are the copies of the Friendship Baptist Church newsletter dating 1925-1932, and programs of worship services and cultural events dating 1941 -1973. These materials document the pastorships of E. R. Carter, Maynard Holbrook Jackson Sr., Samuel W. Williams, and William Vincent Guy, some of Atlanta’s most esteemed African American religious leaders of their day.
- Creation: 1925-1973
- Parks, Andrew Walter (Person)
All materials in this collection are either protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center, Inc., and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
A. (Andrew) Walter Parks (1900 April 28-1974 September 5) was a long time resident of Atlanta, Georgia. He and his wife Hattie Brookins Parks were the parents of four daughters: Mary (Washington), Hattie (Davis), Yvonne (Catchings), and Bettyelaine (Daniels).
A. Walter was the proprietor of Parks Shoe Rebuilders on Hunter Street (now Martin Luther King Jr. Drive) for over 45 years. His business motto proclaimed, “We have saved a million soles.” Mr. Parks was a dedicated member of Friendship Baptist Church, where he served three times as Chairman of the Deacon Board, was a member of the Usher and Trustee Boards, and was Scout Master for Boy Scout Troup Number 95. He was active in other fraternal and community organizations including serving as Worshipful Master of Plymouth Rock Lodge Number 86, and as chairman of the board of the Lincoln Golf and Country Club. He was on the board of the Metropolitan Atlanta Association of the Blind and received a meritorious service award for 30 years of service (1943-1973).
2 Linear feet
Language of Materials
This collection is divided into four series: Andrew Walter Parks, Organizations, Friendship Baptist Church and Restricted materials.
Source of acquistition
The A. Walter Parks Collection was donated in 1988 by Mr. Parks’ daughter Mary Parks Washington.
- A. Walter Parks collection, 1925-1973
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note