Atlanta-Rome District CME Church collection
Scope and contents
The Atlanta-Rome District CME Church Collection spans the dates 1910-2011. Materials include programs from worship services, funerals, events and church anniversaries; church histories; minutes from national and district annual conferences; and photographs.
All materials in this collection are either protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center, Inc., and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
The Colored Methodist Episcopal (CME) Church came into existence as a result of the movement of African-American Christians from slavery to freedom. During the years following the birth of Methodism, the denomination grew rapidly. The Methodist Episcopal Church South was an outgrowth of Methodism. Some African-Americans, converted to Christianity by slave masters, accepted the Methodist doctrine as it was. However the emancipation of African-Americans from slavery created the desire in some to have and control their own church. This desire led formerly enslaved persons who had been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South to start their own independent religious organization.
Forty-one men gathered together in Jackson, Tennessee on December 16, 1870. With the advice and assistance of the white brethren of the M.E. Church South, these African-American religious leaders organized the colored branch of Methodism. On Tuesday, December 20, they adopted the Methodist South's "Book of Discipline" and on Wednesday, December 21, they elected two of their own preachers, William H. Miles of Kentucky and Richard H. Vanderhorst of Georgia, as their bishops. Gathering in Jackson with only a dream, the religious leaders departed with their own church a reality.
The Sixth Episcopal District comprises the entire state of Georgia. It is divided into 4 regions and 9 districts. The Georgia North Region consists of three districts: the Atlanta-Rome District, the Augusta-Sparta District, and the Elberton-Gainesville District.
The Central Georgia Region consists of two districts: the Fort Valley-Savannah and the Macon-Barnesville.
The West Georgia Region consists of two districts: North Columbus-LaGrange District and the South Columbus-Cordele District.
The South Georgia Region consists of two districts: the Albany-Thomasville and the Moultrie-McRae-Brunswick. The Sixth District Annual Conferences are part of The Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. With more than 500,000 members worldwide, CME Church is governed by a General Conference that meets every four years. There are 34 churches in the Atlanta-Rome District.
Each district is administered by a Presiding Elder in consultation with the Bishop. The Conferences meet annually, usually in June/July, for their regular business session. A number of clergy members and lay members from the conference meet together to worship, celebrate the previous year’s ministries, and set a course for the coming year.
4 Linear feet
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged into five series: Christian Methodist Episcopal Church; Atlanta-Rome CME District; Preachers; Churches; and Photographs.
The Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library acknowledges the generous support of the National Endowment for Humanities - Humanities Collections and Reference Resources Implementation Project Grant in supporting the processing and digitization of a number of its major archival collections as part of the project: Spreading the Word: Expanding Access to African American Religious Archival Collections at the Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library
- Atlanta-Rome District CME Church Collection, 1910-2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description