Atlanta University printed and published materials
Scope and contents
The Atlanta University Published and Printed Materials are series 27-33 of the Atlanta University Archives. It encompasses approximately 700 volumes in 7 publications, and over 500 other pamphlets, leaflets and brochures. The material dates from 1867 to 1992.
Although the holdings are extensive, the only title that contains a complete set of issues is the Atlanta University Publications. The publication chronicles University events through articles, illustrations and photographs, and also feature scholarly articles on a wide variety of topics relating to African American history, religion and society. Notable publications include Phylon and the Atlanta University Publications, both edited by W.E.B. DuBois. The Atlanta University Publications are reprinted in The American Negro: His History and Literature, volume 1 & 2, published by Arno Press. These volumes are avaialable with the call numbers: E 185.6 A88 1969 and E 185.5 A882. The printed materials consist of brochures, flyers and leaflets designed for special events, announcments, various University reports and studies, calenders and directories.
- Atlanta University (Organization)
All materials in this collection are either protected by copyright and/or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center, Inc., and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Seventy-two days following the end of the Civil War, the American Missionary Association (A.M.A) began formal educational work for African Americans in Atlanta. Edmund Asa Ware, the Educational Director of the A.M.A. in Georgia, promoted the idea of establishing a university to provide educational opportunity for the recently freed slaves and refugees of the war. The Atlanta University opened on October 13, 1869.
The University offered training for students of all ages including kindergarten, grade school, normal industrial, academy and college. In 1894, all pre-high school level work ceased, and during the first two decades of the twentieth century, the University phased out its high school courses. In 1929, Atlanta University affiliated with Morehouse and Spelman in a cooperative plan known as the Atlanta University System. Among the features of this system was a division of labor between the schools to eliminate unnecessary duplication of educational efforts. Under this plan, the University discontinued all undergraduate work and devoted its resources to graduate and professional education, while Morehouse and Spelman operated on a college level.
The Atlanta University Schools of Social Work, Library and Information Studies, Arts and Sciences, Education, Business Administration, and Library Services were all established between 1920 and 1946. On July 1, 1988, Atlanta University and Clark College consolidated to form Clark Atlanta University.
25 Linear feet
Language of Materials
Materials are arranged into seven series: Bulletins and catalogs; Atlanta University Publications; The Scroll; Crimson and Gray; Phylon; Programs, calenders and directories; and Other printed and published materials.
- Atlanta University printed and published materials
- Finding aid prepared by Clarence Brown, Paul Crater and Tanji Gibson, 1998.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description