T. Maurice Pennington political cartoon collection
Collection — Box: 1-3
Scope and contents
The Maurice Pennington political cartoon collection contains sketches of his political cartoons drawn for the Atlanta Inquirer, some original artwork, articles and programs from exhibitions. Most of the works were created during the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s.
- 1957, 1962, 1997, undated
- Pennington, T. Maurice (Person)
All materials in this collection are either protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center, Inc., and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
This collection is currently on loan to the Archives Research Center, Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library. For more information on permissions and copyright, please contact the Head of the Archives Research Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or (404) 978-2052.
T. Maurice Pennington (1923-2009) was born in Louisville, Kentucky. Pennington received his formal education in Nashville, Tennessee and at the Atlanta College of Arts. Pennington was active in the civil rights movement. Pennington worked for the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee as a planning strategist. Throughout the 1960s, Pennington's editorial cartoons depicted the inequities and injustices inflicted upon the African-American community. A noted "foot soldier," Pennington was also instrumental in local politics, working to promote the Maynard Jackson mayoral candidacy. On September 26, 2009, Pennington passed at the age of 86.
0.5 Linear feet
Language of Materials
This collection is divided into six series which include: Atlanta Life calendar, Newsclippings, Photographs, Political cartoons, Programs and Writings by Maurice Pennington.
- African American Pentecostals
- African American arts
- African American newspapers
- African American periodicals
- African American press
- African American student movements
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- African Americans -- Segregation
- African Americans--Civil rights
- King, Coretta Scott, 1927-2006
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968
- Political cartoons
- Race relations
- Maurice Pennington political cartoon collection, 1957-1997
- Finding aid prepared by Kayin Shabazz and Allison Galloup.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note